Our Connection to the Environment Movement
Stormbird Press is deeply connected to the global environment movement. It’s where we come from and where our hearts remain.
We are an imprint of Wild Migration—a not-for-profit conservation organisation that has quietly worked around the world for decades to build the participation capacity of wildlife scientists, wildlife policy experts and civil society, to secure international wildlife conservation. The legacy of our background is we know that if local communities are empowered, they can be guardians of their biological and cultural heritage and the wildlife they live with. Indeed, we believe the rich tapestry and diversity of life includes human and non-human cultures.
Our commitment is more than words. We take tangible actions and are accountable to our commitments.
- We are a Consultative organisation to the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) and a proud signatory to the United Nations SDG Publishers Compact (see below).
- Following the Australian Black Summer wildfires (2019/20) that destroyed the Stormbird Press office we have rebuilt our office for full energy and water self-sufficiency. We are 100% off grid solar and water, and are in the process of auditing and adapting all the business practices we can control to take further steps towards carbon neutrality.
- We pressure our printers and distributors to constantly lift their game, working with them towards carbon neutrality. It’s a long road, but one we are committed to walk.
- All our books now feature a statement from us as a publisher that make it clear to our readers about the core environmental issues being addressed in the book and how the book contributes to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (see below).
- We are embracing online meetings whenever we can and actively avoiding in-person meetings that require carbon intensive travel.
- Only publish books that contribute to at least one of the Sustainable Development Goals. For 2022 and 2023 our books will contribute to SDG 13: Climate Action, SDG 14: Life Below Water, SDG 15: Life on Land, and SDG 16: Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions.
- Only print our books on-demand and do not allow any of our unsold titles to be pulped or destroyed.
- In 2022 we will publish our actions and ambitions as formal sustainability policies, and will annually report agaisnt these policies every year thereafter.
As a Consultative Organisation to ECOSOC, we formally report on our activities every three years.
We focus this commitment as a signatory to the United Nations SDG Publishers Compact aimed at accelerating progress to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by 2030. As signatories to the compact we have agreed to:
- commit to the SDGs: Stating sustainability policies and targets on our website, including adherence to this Compact; incorporating SDGs and their targets as appropriate.
- promote and acquire content that advocates for themes represented by the SDGs, such as equality, sustainability, justice and safeguarding and strengthening the environment.
- annually report on progress towards achieving SDGs, sharing data and contribute to benchmarking activities, helping to share best practices and identify gaps that still need to be addressed.
- nominate person who promote SDG progress within Stormbird Press, acting as a point of contact and coordinating the SDG themes throughout the organisation.
- raise awareness and promote the SDGs among our staff to increase awareness of SDG-related policies and goals and encouraging projects that will help achieve the SDGs by 2030.
- raise awareness and promote the SDGs among our suppliers, to advocate for SDGs and to collaborate on areas that need innovative actions and solutions.
- become an advocate to customers and stakeholders by promoting and actively communicating about the SDG agenda through marketing, websites, promotions and projects.
- collaborate across cities, countries, and continents with other signatories and organizations to develop, localize and scale projects that will advance progress on the SDGs individually or through their Publishing Association.
- dedicate budget and other resources towards accelerating progress for SDG-dedicated projects and promoting SDG principles.
- take action on at least one SDG goal, either as an individual publisher or through your national publishing association and sharing progress annually.